June 28 is National Insurance Awareness Day. While not nearly as fun as National Margarita or Take Your Dog to Work Day, today we urge you to take some time to think about one of the most important products you buy to protect yourself and your family.
Take some time today to review your homeowner’s and auto owner’s insurance policies. If you have an insurance agent, this is a good day to give them a call and revisit your needs. Ask them whether there are new insurance products that might better protect you and your family. Remember that your insurance policy is designed to indemnify you against loss and is a very important purchase for that reason. Adequate insurance provides you with a safety net should you be involved in a car crash or suffer damage to your home caused by a storm.
It is important to revisit your needs so that you can ensure that you are purchasing enough insurance to protect yourself and your assets. While the risk of loss is probably very low, any loss is disruptive, and without enough insurance you may not be able to recover quickly.
PIFF recommends these ways to celebrate National Insurance Awareness Day:
- Review your homeowner’s and auto policies; evaluate your needs.
- If you have an agent, talk to them about your insurance coverage and your needs; ask them about any new products they may have to better protect you and your family.
- Make copies of your policies and agent’s contact information and store them in various locations that might aid you during a disaster.
- Gather supplies and create a basic disaster supply kit with friends. Don’t forget about the pets!
- Review your evacuation routes and emergency contacts with family members.
- Check smoke detectors and replace systems if necessary.
- Remove dead and poorly supported branches from trees surrounding your property.