The Personal Insurance Federation of Florida, a property and casualty trade association, seeks a highly motivated and experienced public policy professional to fill the role of Vice President, Legislative & Regulatory Affairs.
This person advocates on behalf of the trade before the Governor & Cabinet and Florida Legislature, cultivates relationships with elected officials, staff, and stakeholder groups, and monitors, researches and prepares analyses of legislative and regulatory proposals of interest to the association’s members. This person also serves as the Political Director for the association, preparing political campaign analyses and recommendations for contributions by an affiliated political committee, as well as assisting in developing and managing relationships that support PAC contributions.
- Advocates the association’s interests before the Governor and Cabinet, the Florida Legislature, and regulatory agencies, working directly with elected officials and staff.
- Develops legislative and regulatory analyses using a variety of research tools including legislative and regulatory tracking services, publications, and web-based information.
- Drafts and presents legislative summaries, talking points, and voting reports to association members and other stakeholders.
- Attends legislative committee meetings and regulatory hearings, providing testimony as appropriate, and prepares reports and analyses on key issues.
- Coordinates an affiliated political committee, including strategic planning, political communications, budgeting, fundraising, program implementation, and coordination with campaigns.
- Plans and develops political strategies with the goal of promoting trade association interests across the political spectrum.
- Actively cultivates relationships with candidates, elected officials, government staff, and stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of experience in Florida legislative or executive branch lobbying or regulatory work, or related experience in an executive branch agency, or state political campaign experience required.
- Energetic and effective interpersonal communications skills.
- Ability to lead collaborative work efforts with varying stakeholder groups.
- Knowledge of the legislative process, including legislative bill and amendment drafting, and knowledge of legislative rules.
- A working knowledge of Florida political campaigns, including campaign finance and candidate identification, cultivation and stewardship.
- Strong research, analytical, and writing skills.